Coronavirus – How to get help if you’re vulnerable

Calderdale Council

Calderdale Council are processing requests from people wanting help for themselves and also for friends and family.

Request Support: This is a simple form to fill in if you or someone you know needs extra support. If you are not able to access the internet, you can call 01422 392890 to register for this service.

  • Here’s an article looking at how the Council are working to identify and contact a list of the most vulnerable people in Calderdale. Plus how your GP can help you get on this list – Read Article
  • Here’s a link to the Council’s page explaining their community volunteer network.


Ask for help from NHS’s Volunteer Responders: The NHS has a newly recruited army of Volunteer Responders who are available to help vulnerable people in a variety ways. If you are currently not supported and need some help with shopping, a prescription collection or a friendly chat then the NHS Volunteer Responders are ready to help.

If you meet any of the criteria below and need help collecting shopping, medication or other essential supplies or just want a telephone ‘check in and chat’ to help prevent loneliness, please call 0808 196 3646 (8am to 8pm)

Please note, you should only get in touch if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • People who are registered disabled
  • People aged 70 years and older with underlying health conditions
  • If you are in the ‘extremely vulnerable’ to COVID 19 group and have been sent a letter asking you to shield from the virus
  • People who are pregnant
  • If you are newly socially vulnerable as a result of COVID 19
  • Others with high-risk conditions could include:
    • People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
    • People with serious heart conditions
    • People who are immunocompromised including because of cancer treatment
    • People of any age with severe obesity e.g. body mass index (BMI) over 40
    • Certain underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, such as those with diabetes, dementia, renal failure, or liver disease might also be at risk


Register with the Government – Register with this service if either: you have a medical condition which means you’re classed as being clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus; or you’ve been told by your GP or hospital clinician that you’re clinically extremely vulnerable and need to ‘shield’ – Register Here