There is a wealth of financial advice now available to help you cope with the impacts of the Coronavirus outbreak. Both the Government and Calderdale Council offer lots of really useful online advice, whilst Citizens Advice and Disability Support Calderdale can help you over the phone with your benefits etc.
Below are a number of links to these key service providers and below that a list of our most recent finance-related news.
Provide advice and support on a wide range of financial issues. They advise on Universal Credit (UC) and related benefits like Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP). They look at a person’s overall situation and decide which benefits would be the best for that person/family, bringing in housing, specialists, debt management advisors and have an ‘Energy Champion’ who looks at people’s energy bills. They also have a Debt team and an Appeals team supporting the above services.
CAB helps people to fill out forms and applications for support. They help all ages, including families with children, and adults. They have people who are multilingual, including Urdu and other languages.
All CAB’s services are currently online or over the phone. They have seen an increase in requests for support regarding Universal Credit, and General Advice around Furlough and Employment Rights. All CAB advisors are fully informed on these subjects.
They also have dedicated teams looking into Debt and Welfare Rights issues (More on Debt & Welfare Rights work)
At Present, CAB phone lines are very busy. They are urging people to be patient, and if they can’t wait on the phone, they should email by going onto the website and pressing the ‘Contact Us’ button. CAB staff will respond to ALL emails within 24-48 hours.
Please call Telephone Advice Line: 0300 330 9048
Monday : 9:30am – 3:00pm
Tuesday : 9:30am – 3:00pm & 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Wednesday : 9:30am – 3:00pm
Thursday : 9:30am – 3:00pm
Friday : 9:30am – 1:00pm
Alternatively, for email advice please visit their website: www.calderdalecab.org.uk
Citizens’ Advice – Help with energy bills and energy suppliers
Citizens’ Advice – Help With Benefit Appeals
Citizens’ Advice – If you can’t pay your bills because of coronavirus
Other Sources of Financial Advice
Financial Advice for Disabled People – Disability Support Calderdale’s services
Calderdale Credit Union is a savings and loans co-operative owned and managed by its members, all of whom live or work in Calderdale or Kirklees. You can find out more and join online at Calderdale Credit Union .
If you are worried about your finances or your existing debt solution you can get support from StepChange Debt Charity.
Guidance for people who are employed and cannot work due to coronavirus
what to do if you’re employed and cannot work
self-employed – what to do if you’re getting less or no work
Already getting benefits – how they’re affected
Find out what you can do if you’re struggling because of coronavirus
Council Tax: Council Tax bills have now been sent, showing how much is owed for the year and the date this payment needs to be made. We will not be deferring any Council Tax payments for the 2020/21 financial year at this stage. If you’re struggling with payments there are a number of discounts or reductions you may be eligible for.
Business support: Recent government announcements have confirmed a package of measures to provide support for businesses registered for business rates to minimise the impact of COVID 19. Please complete their online forms at: Business request for support. For information on all the support being offered for businesses, visit the Council’s virtual business hub.
Latest Finance/Money News Items
- Key points from this week’s Budget announcement Extension of furlough and support for the self-employed The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme will be extended until the end of September. Employees will continue to receive 80% of …more
- Disability Support Calderdale has received funding from Community Foundation For Calderdale to support families, children and young people with Children’s Disability Living Allowance Applications. They are working remotely at the …more
- With the current cold weather set to stay with us for the time being, this is a good time to remind you of this excellent service: Would you like to find out how to save money on your energy bills? Citizens Advice Calderdale can …more
- UK wide support for jobs We have extended the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme until the end of April 2021. The government will cover the cost of 80 per cent of the wages of furloughed employees for hours not worked – employers …more
- Tis the season to be cautious. The flyer available to download below highlights some of the more prominent scams to look out for. Download the 12 scams of Christmas If you are a victim of a scam, report it to Action Fraud …more
- Here are links to the latest advice for people who buy care and support through a direct payment, as well as local authorities, clinical commissioning groups and those who provide care and support. Documents Guidance for local …more
- Are you worried about your energy bills? It’s estimated that average households will use 15% more energy during this lock-down period, and more energy usage means high bills. Citizens Advice Calderdale has an Energy Advisor ready …more
- 6 November 2020 Roundup of recent DWP announcements Universal Credit – Minimum Income Floor for the self-employed The Minimum Income Floor (MIF) for self-employed Universal Credit (UC) claimants will remain suspended until …more
- This webinar from the website be-human.org.uk is for anyone employing PA’s (Personal Assistants) using their Direct Payments and is focused on employers and employees for people on Direct Payments via a personal budget or …more
- Advice for people who buy care and support through a direct payment, as well as local authorities, clinical commissioning groups and those who provide care and support. Details This guidance sets out the main messages for …more