Coronavirus – Financial Advice

There is a wealth of financial advice now available to help you cope with the impacts of the Coronavirus outbreak. Both the Government and Calderdale Council offer lots of really useful online advice, whilst Citizens Advice and Disability Support Calderdale can help you over the phone with your benefits etc.

Below are a number of links to these key service providers and below that a list of our most recent finance-related news.

Citizens’ Advice

Provide advice and support on a wide range of financial issues. They advise on Universal Credit (UC) and related benefits like Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP). They look at a person’s overall situation and decide which benefits would be the best for that person/family, bringing in housing, specialists, debt management advisors and have an ‘Energy Champion’ who looks at people’s energy bills. They also have a Debt team and an Appeals team supporting the above services.

CAB helps people to fill out forms and applications for support. They help all ages, including families with children, and adults. They have people who are multilingual, including Urdu and other languages.

All CAB’s services are currently online or over the phone. They have seen an increase in requests for support regarding Universal Credit, and General Advice around Furlough and Employment Rights. All CAB advisors are fully informed on these subjects.

They also have dedicated teams looking into Debt and Welfare Rights issues (More on Debt & Welfare Rights work)

At Present, CAB phone lines are very busy. They are urging people to be patient, and if they can’t wait on the phone, they should email by going onto the website and pressing the ‘Contact Us’ button. CAB staff will respond to ALL emails within 24-48 hours.

Please call Telephone Advice Line: 0300 330 9048

Monday : 9:30am – 3:00pm
Tuesday : 9:30am – 3:00pm & 4:00pm – 5:30pm
Wednesday : 9:30am – 3:00pm
Thursday : 9:30am – 3:00pm
Friday : 9:30am – 1:00pm
Alternatively, for email advice please visit their website:

Citizens’ AdviceHelp with energy bills and energy suppliers

Citizens’ Advice – Help With Benefit Appeals

Citizens’ Advice – If you can’t pay your bills because of coronavirus

Other Sources of Financial Advice

Financial Advice for Disabled PeopleDisability Support Calderdale’s services

Energy: How to Top-Up Gas & Electric Safely / More energy advice

Calderdale Credit Union is a savings and loans co-operative owned and managed by its members, all of whom live or work in Calderdale or Kirklees. You can find out more and join online at Calderdale Credit Union .

If you are worried about your finances or your existing debt solution you can get support from StepChange Debt Charity.


Guidance for people who are employed and cannot work due to coronavirus
what to do if you’re employed and cannot work
self-employed – what to do if you’re getting less or no work
Already getting benefits – how they’re affected
Find out what you can do if you’re struggling because of coronavirus

Calderdale Council:

Council Tax: Council Tax bills have now been sent, showing how much is owed for the year and the date this payment needs to be made. We will not be deferring any Council Tax payments for the 2020/21 financial year at this stage. If you’re struggling with payments there are a number of discounts or reductions you may be eligible for.

Business support: Recent government announcements have confirmed a package of measures to provide support for businesses registered for business rates to minimise the impact of COVID 19. Please complete their online forms at: Business request for support. For information on all the support being offered for businesses, visit the Council’s virtual business hub.

Latest Finance/Money News Items

  • benefits and money news
    NHS Facts & Figures: Key Questions Answered
    What’s the NHS annual budget? How many doctors and nurses are there? What’s the cost of an operation? The Kings Fund’s press and public affairs team, library service and policy experts deal with hundreds of …more
  • health & nhs news
    Calderdale Winter Support Directory 2021/22
    This directory is full of information about the diverse range of help and services available from the Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise (VCSE) sector that can support you to have a safe, supported Winter. Find help on: …more
  • benefits and money news
    Join DWP’s ethnic minority forum on health & disability benefits
    Have your Say: Take part in a new ethnic minority forum on the future of health & disability benefits The Government’s Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) recently published Shaping Future Support: The Health and …more
  • benefits and money news
    Save Up to £250 With Energy Saving Tips
    Here are some easy to achieve energy efficiency measures that, combined, could save you hundreds of pounds per year. Our friends at Citizens Advice Calderdale compiled this list and kindly shared it with us: Understand your …more
  • benefits and money news
    Financial Boost For Families With Disabled Children
    The website Money Saving Expert is reporting that families with disabled children will be able to withdraw up to £2,500 from Child Trust Funds (CTFs) or junior ISAs (JISAs) without first needing court permission under new …more
  • benefits and money news
    New videos explain Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children
    New videos for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children DWP is committed to making communications clear and accessible to all. As part of this commitment, we have made four short videos about DLA for children. They provide …more
  • benefits and money news
    Avoiding Telephone Banking Scams
    Don’t throw out anything with your name, address or financial details without shredding it first. – This will protect you from ID Fraud. • If you receive an unsolicited email or phone call from what appears to be your bank or …more
  • benefits and money news
    Helping you understand how Universal Credit can support you
    The government’s Department for Work & Pensions has launched a new campaign to help people understand the support that Universal Credit (UC) could offer them. The digital advertising campaign will help people, including …more
  • benefits and money news
    Disability Benefit claimants to get a £10 Christmas bonus
    Pension and Disability Benefit claimants to get a Christmas bonus People who receive pension or disability benefits will receive a tax-free Christmas bonus of £10. The payment will be made before 25 December, and paid directly to …more
  • benefits and money news
    Calderdale Council: Central Heating Grants & More
    Calderdale Council’s Home Energy Action Team have numerous grants available to help people heat and insulate their homes. One key pot of money covers the installation of central heating to be installed in homes which …more