Unique Ways is a parent led, Halifax based registered charity, offering support, guidance and a range of services to families with disabled children /young people (aged 0 – 25). The charity covers all of Calderdale. Unique Ways is a membership organisation but membership is free. Parent carers do not need a formal diagnosis to access their services. Support available includes specialist practitioner services, training courses and peer support sessions.
Their mission is to support parent carers of young people and children with disabilities by helping them build their skills and resilience, supporting them as they become more involved in community life, and ensuring their voices are heard.
They also provide a variety of services:
- Information & Signposting – through regular email bulletins and postal mail-outs plus their magazine, Inclusive Calderdale, which they circulate twice a year.
- Courses & Training – including free information sessions and courses throughout the year, open to all members and covering a wide range of topics relevant to parent carers, and focusing on building resilience and developing support networks on your journey of bringing up disabled children.
- One2One Services – Members can make use of their One2One service providers, who work with families on an individual basis. These services include a sleep practitioner and Independent Supporters who can support parent carers and young people through the Education Health and Care plan process.
- Peer Support – Connecting with other families who are having similar experiences to you is one of the most essential parts of becoming part of a community, and building a social life in demanding circumstances. Unique Ways run monthly coffee mornings and afternoon tea sessions, plus social activities for both parents and children, including bowling, discos and drama workshops.
- Children’s Area – Members can visit their family room and access their toy library that’s stocked with a variety of educational and sensory toys.
- Family Voice Calderdale – an active group of parent carers, working in partnership with Statutory Service Providers to influence the design, development and delivery of services for disabled children and young people in Calderdale. The group holds events, and encourages families to get involved, share experiences, and take an active role in shaping the services they use.
Tel: 01422 343 090
Address: Unique Ways
Hanson Lane Enterprise Centre
Video – in this video, Unique Ways explain how they work through the experiences of one parent: