As the clocks go back and temperatures drop, now’s a good time to get our homes ready for winter. It’s important to think about how to stay warm and protect yourself against plumbing emergencies.
WaterSafe, the UK’s register of approved contractors backed by all water companies and drinking water regulators, works in partnership with the Met Office to share winter advice.
Remember these five top tips to get ready for winter:
1) Fit foam lagging on your pipes and an insulated jacket on your outside tap to prevent the water inside freezing and bursting the pipes
2) Make sure you can find and use your stop tap to turn your water off in an emergency – it’s usually located underneath your kitchen sink
3) Find the number of your local WaterSafe-approved emergency plumber and save it in your phone or stick it on your fridge – just in case
4) Arrange a boiler service to help keep it running smoothly, using an engineer registered with both WaterSafe and Gas Safe
5) Keep an eye on your water use; a third of energy costs come from heating water, so saving water means saving on your water and energy bills too.
Did you know?
WaterSafe provides a register of qualified, approved, plumbers and water contractors who are trained in the water regulations, are insured, and hold relevant professional qualifications. Visit their website for more advice and guidance!