Battery Charging Safety Advice

The Fire Service has recently highlighted the rise in fires caused by lithium batteries overheating, which are used in a range of everyday items including mobile phones, mobile computer devices, toothbrushes, electric bikes and mobility equipment.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service dealt with 29 lithium battery fires in 2022/23, compared to just nine in 2021/22.

Advice includes:

  • Using manufacturer approved chargers for work mobiles, and charging them during the day in your presence rather than leaving them unattended.
  • Not charging items such as your phone or toothbrush near bedding or in the bedroom and never overnight while you’re asleep.
  • Not charging electric vehicles, bikes, scooters or access equipment in residential premises and never in escape routes.
  • Only using designated Council charging environments for larger batteries whilst at work.