Welcome to the latest Calderdale Libraries Update – September 2021
We’ve really missed you, please come back and visit us!
Most of our libraries are now open with extended opening hours. We do still advise the wearing of a face covering and we continue to have hand sanitising stations placed within our libraries.
The following libraries are open – Central, Akroyd, Brighouse, Elland, Hebden Bridge, King Cross, Mixenden, Northowram, Rastrick, Sowerby Bridge and Todmorden. Beechwood Road Library is still closed due to ongoing refurbishment (please see below for more information).
For current opening hours visit:
Throughout the last 18 months, we have been extending the due date of all the items out on loan. The last extension ends on 30th September. From then on, we will revert to the normal 3 week loan period This means that overdue charges may apply if items are returned late. Renewals can be requested online via our website or via phone or email to any library. Email notifications (providing you have an email address on your library account) will be switched back on so that you will have the option to receive reminders before your items are due back or when an item that you have reserved is available for collection.
Reservations for items currently in stock in Calderdale Libraries will remain free of charge for the moment.
Select & Collect remains an option for library users – login to your library account online by visiting
https://calderdale.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/MSGTRN/WPAC/LOGINB to submit a request. Library staff will choose a selection of books for you, according to your requirements, and let you know when they are ready to collect.
To reserve specific items from our catalogue, log in to your library account as above or contact any Calderdale Library.
Update for Beechwood Road Library Users
Exciting news. Works have now begun, and you can expect to see contractors on site
The works to be completed are outlined below, and are aimed at making the space more accessible and welcoming for our communities
|· Extensive repairs are planned which will start next month and continue through the summer.
· We are looking at an upgrade of the external fabric and some internal upgrades.
· The external upgrades will consist of the refurbishment and thermal upgrade of the two flat roofs and pitched roof. The rendering to the rear extension and the right hand side of the building will be removed and re-rendered. The fascia’s and soffits will be replaced and the guttering throughout will be replaced. The rear extension windows will also be replaced with double glazing throughout. The rest of the windows will be painted externally.
· Internally, we will be redecorating the water damaged areas throughout. There will also be some upgrades to some of the internal doors to increase fire safety, but the two wood panelling doors will remain. There will also be an upgrade of W/C and basin in the toilet area as well as redecoration.
· There will be a lighting upgrade to LED lighting throughout (there will also be some upgrades to the external lighting).
· There will be some new shelving and soft furnishings in public areas to improve the look and feel of the space and make it more adaptable for use by the community
· There will also be the introduction of a self -service machine.
We are hoping to be able to open this lovely new space later in the year, with improved opening hours that will better serve the community
For more information email: email@example.com
The Home Library Service
The Home Library Delivery Service continues to serve those who, for reasons of age, frailty or vulnerability, cannot visit a library in person. We can also offer a pickup service for those customers who find themselves with large numbers of books to return.
Please contact the Home Library team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01422 288062
Business Information comes to Central Library
Calderdale Libraries are really pleased to be part of a national network of Business and Intellectual Property Centres. Operating as a BIPC local we have a dedicated space on the lower ground floor of Central Library, Halifax where customers can browse business books and factsheets.
We also have access to a range of online databases that can help customers:
|· find out what type of business they would like to start,
· be aware of any regulations that apply to their business,
· source suppliers,
· carry out effective market research
· identify possible funding opportunities.
Customers can also book a 1 to 1 appointment with a business information specialist from Leeds Business and IP Centre. This will be either online or in Central Library, Halifax.
You can pop in and see us in person, ring us on 01422 392631 or email us at:
You will find more information about this service, by visiting: https://www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/residents/leisure-and-culture/libraries/digital-library/business-ip-service
E-Books and E-Audio
If you are a library member, Calderdale Libraries have two different services that you can take advantage of. One is Libby (part of the Overdrive platform) and the other is uLIBRARY.
Library card holders can access e-books, e-audio books, magazines and comics – and all free of charge!
For more information, visit our website here:
Overdrive (Libby) have announced their next Together We Read title is Klara and The Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro. Klara And The Sun will be available in both e-book and e-audio for unlimited access via Libby between 29th September & 13th October.
Celebrate National Poetry Day
National Poetry Day is a UK-wide celebration of poetry, taking place on 7th October 2021, and our theme is Choice.
Over the years we’ve had poetry in schools, poetry in burger vans, poetry on the news, poetry on the side of buildings, poetry strapped to the legs of carrier pigeons, and much more.
All we ask on the day is that you celebrate poetry and use the hashtag #NationalPoetryDay to let us know about it.
Todmorden Book Festival
Calderdale Libraries continue to support the book festival in Todmorden. For more details and access to the program, visit:
Brighouse Arts Festival
Calderdale Libraries will once more be supporting the Brighouse Arts Festival, with several events being held at either Brighouse or Rastrick Libraries.
For more information or to reserve tickets, see the website below: