Rogue Traders in West Yorkshire targeting vulnerable residents. West Yorkshire Trading Standard continue to receive reports of doorstep traders using pushy and sometimes aggressive sales tactics to intimidate people, usually the vulnerable and isolated members of our society, into using their services. Please remember if you feel pressured, ask the person to leave and take time to talk to someone you trust before you make any decisions on the doorstep.
Any trader who agrees work at the home of an individual or at a place other than their usual business premises is required by law to provide consumers with a Notice of Right to Cancel, which gives a 14 day cooling off period from the date the work starts. Even if work has started there is still a legal right to cancel, although some payment may be required for materials already used.
Questions to ask before employing a tradesperson to do work for you
- HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN BUSINESS?
- WHO WILL BE CARRYING OUT THE WORK?
- WHAT JOBS HAVE YOU DONE THAT I CAN LOOK AT – ANY CUSTOMER PORTFOLIO’S?
- HOW LONG BEFORE YOU CAN SEND ME A DETAILED WRITTEN QUOTE?
- ARE THERE ANY HIDDEN EXTRA’S SUCH AS EQUIPMENT HIRE?
- WHAT TIME FRAME CAN I EXPECT FOR COMPLETION?