Calderdale Council is extending the opening of some of its public toilets to seven days a week. Since public toilets across Calderdale were closed for safety reasons during the first lockdown in 2020, the Council has been gradually reopening the facilities in line with national guidelines and the safest local approach. The Council reopened public toilets in all the borough’s towns in July 2020, followed by a further five toilet blocks in parks in April 2021.
Now, at the end of May/start of June 2021, to meet increased demand, the Council has put additional resources in place to safely extend the opening of some public toilets to include additional days, as follows:
- Albion Street, Halifax: Monday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm
- Brook Street, Todmorden: Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 4pm
- Calder Holmes Park, Hebden Bridge: Monday to Sunday, 10.30am to 4pm
- Centre Vale Park, Todmorden: Monday to Sunday, 10am to 4pm
- Manor Heath Park, Halifax: Monday to Sunday, 10am to 4pm
- New Road, Hebden Bridge: Monday to Sunday, 10am to 4pm
- People’s Park, Halifax: Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
- Savile Park, Halifax: Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm
- Thornton Square, Brighouse: Monday (excluding bank holidays) to Saturday, 10am to 4pm
- Town Hall Square, Elland: Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm
- Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge: Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm
All the public toilets are self-contained, individually accessed unisex facilities, helping to reduce the risk of the virus spreading. Additional cleaning and frequent disinfecting are taking place in all toilet blocks. People are asked to help maintain hygiene standards between cleans by following the advice in the increased signage in all facilities.
As always, the most effective ways to maintain good hygiene are to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching your face and follow the ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ guidance. Public toilets are checked regularly to ensure that soap is always available.
As part of the Future Council Programme, a small number of more remote and / or less used toilet facilities will not reopen under Council management. Instead, they will be made available to other organisations / groups, potentially for them to manage as additional provision. Keep an eye out for more information on this opportunity.