Quick Guide – Gov’t Advice For Clinically Vulnerable

Here are the key points of the government’s advice to people who are clinically extremely vulnerable to Coronavirus during the new lockdown period, commencing 5 November 2020 – read their advice in its full form here.

Day-To-Day Living

Home, Socialising & Exercise

  • stay at home as much as possible, except to go outdoors for exercise.
  • You may meet up with one other person from outside your household or support bubble, for example, to exercise in an outdoor public place.
  • Try to keep all contact with others to a minimum and avoid busy areas. Whenever you go out, continue to maintain strict social distancing,
  • wash your hands regularly and avoid touching your face.
  • You should also try to stay 2 metres away from other people within your household


You are strongly advised to work from home. If you cannot work from home, you should still not attend work for this period of restrictions.

Schools etc

There is a very low risk of children becoming very unwell from COVID-19, even with existing health conditions. Most children originally identified as clinically extremely vulnerable no longer need to follow this advice. Speak to your GP or specialist clinician, if you have not already done so, to understand whether your child should still be classed as clinically extremely vulnerable. Those children whose doctors have confirmed they are still clinically extremely vulnerable are advised not to attend school while this advice is in place.


You should avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport. This includes not travelling to work, school or the shops.


You are advised not to go to the shops. Shop online if you can, or ask others to collect and deliver shopping for you (friends, family, or a volunteer, including NHS Volunteer Responders). If you already have a priority delivery slot with a supermarket, that will continue – you do not need to do anything further. If you cannot access food, your local council can offer support. This may include helping you to request a priority supermarket delivery slot (if you do not already have one) or help with shopping. See Registering for support.


You are advised not to go to a pharmacy. You are encouraged, in the first instance, to ask for delivery, to ask a friend, family member, carer or a volunteer (for example, one of the NHS Volunteer Responders) to collect your medicines for you.

Getting Extra Care & Support

Accessing care and support

It’s vital to continue to seek support from the NHS and other health providers for your existing health conditions and any new health concerns. You can access a range of NHS services from home, including ordering repeat prescriptions or contacting your health professional through an online consultation. To find out more, visit NHS Health at Home or download the NHS App. If you have an urgent medical need, call NHS 111 or, for a medical emergency, dial 999. Call 0808 196 3646 between 8am and 8pm to arrange support or visit NHS Volunteer Responders.

Registering for support

If you need additional help to follow this guidance, your local council may be able to help. You can register yourself or someone else for the new online service to:

  • request access to a priority supermarket delivery slot (if you have already got priority supermarket deliveries, you will keep them)
  • tell your council if you need support to follow this guidance, especially if you are unable to arrange this yourself or with the help of friends, family or other support networks
  • make sure your details, such as your address, are up to date

You can register now and will be asked for your NHS number. You can find it on any letter the NHS has sent you, or on a prescription. It is helpful if you register even if you do not have any support needs at this time. You can log in and update your needs if circumstances change at any time. If you need to register your needs by phone, or have an urgent need, contact your local council directly. Find out what help you might be able to get from your local council.