Council Addresses Direct Payment Concerns

Here is a copy of a letter that Calderdale Council is sending out to recipients of direct payments from Adults or Children’s Services, addressing their concerns and clarifying the steps needed to get support and advice. Further Council advice and info is available on their website, or on our Council information hub page.

Letter from the council

We are sending you this letter as our records show you receive a direct payment from Adults or Children’s Services to enable you to purchase the appropriate support
for yourself or on behalf of someone.

We understand that people who receive a Direct Payment for their care and support are really worried about Coronavirus COVID-19. If you have been unable to get the support you need because your usual support arrangements have been disrupted due to COVID 19 and this is impacting on your health and wellbeing please contact Gateway to Care on 01422 393000 and we’ll do our best to help you to get the support you need.

There may be circumstances where you need to continue to pay for a service even if you are not receiving it. The direct payment fund made to you will not change, it is important that you continue to keep a record of all payments made to organisations or individuals whether or not a service was delivered. A note can be written on the supporting documents to reflect this.

When your direct payment bank account is next due for an audit, the Audit Team will take note of the periods when care was not delivered and will adjust the care charge contribution accordingly. We hope that you will find the information within this letter useful and we have enclosed some FAQ’s regarding Direct Payments. If you have any unanswered questions please contact the Direct Payment Team on 01422 393370 for advice and support.

Support for the extremely vulnerable
Calderdale Council has launched a helpline for anyone in need of urgent help.
Please call 01422 392890 if you are in urgent need of assistance.
You can also request help by visiting our website and filling in our online form.