I’m Vulnerable – What help is available and how can I access it?

This extract is taken from a longer set of FAQ’s published by Calderdale Council for vulnerable residents.

It can be difficult to know how to get help during this time. Many people who have never needed help before may need help due to the disruption brought about by COVID-19. If you need help or advice, you can contact the council. A system has been set up to provide access to a wide range of services so regardless of what you need the council should be able to help. If you have access to the internet you can complete the form here and someone will be in touch. If you don’t have access to the internet you can call 01422 392890.

Requests for help will be dealt with according to need. Those with a higher level of need will be dealt with by our social care team. Those with a lower level of need will be passed to the volunteer hub where volunteers from across Calderdale will be able to help.

Examples of help available include shopping, collection of medications, a friendly phone call, dog walking, posting of mail and more.

The council are working closely with the voluntary sector to ensure that offers of support from voluntary and charity organisations are accessible to those who need them. Details of local support are available at: www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/sites/default/files/Directory-of-Local-Support-Groups.pdf .

If you do not have internet access, the volunteer hub can link you in to groups in your area. Call 01422 392890 to register for help.

What other help is available?

In addition to the help offered by the council, a range of other organisations are able to offer support. The council can put you in touch  6  with many local and national voluntary organisations that provide a range of help and advice. There are lots of national organisations you can contact directly for advice regarding specific medical conditions. Examples include Macmillan for those with cancer, the British Heart Foundation for those with heart conditions, and Mencap for those with a learning disability. Local organisations you can contact include: 

  • Citizens Advice Bureau offer a range of advice on financial and benefits advice – see www.calderdalecab.org.uk/ or call 0300 330 9048 for details. 
  • Healthy Minds Calderdale is a local mental health charity which can help support those in emotional distress – see www.healthymindscalderdale.co.uk or call 01422 345154 between 18.30 and 22.30 daily. 
  • Halifax Society for the Blind provide support to those with sight loss and can be contacted Mon-Fri 9-5pm on 01422 354575 or by email at info@halifaxblindsociety.org.uk.
  • The Calderdale Council of Mosques represents Muslims across Calderdale and can be contacted at info@calderdalecouncilofmosques.com. 
  • St Augustine’s supports refugees, asylum seekers and migrants regardless of faith, ethnicity or background. Contact 07743045625 or 07756262024 10am – 3pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays or visit www.staugustinescentrehalifax.org.uk/.