We’ve seen more and more warnings about scams being carried out off the back of the Coronavirus situation. West Yorkshire Trading Standards has reported an
increase in the number of COVID-19 related scams.
What Scams are trending at the moment in West Yorkshire?
- Individuals are going around door-to-door selling face masks and trying to get into people’s homes.
- Individuals impersonating Red Cross workers and health authorities door-to-door knocking claiming to be carrying out mandatory testing for COVID-19 as an excuse to enter a home.
- Scam HMRC tax refund message/emails.
- Scam text messages/emails from Police/government stating you have been fined for leaving the house.
- Scam phone calls offering priority vaccinations.
- Parents receiving an email stating: ‘As schools will be closing, if you’re entitled to free school meals, please send your bank details and we’ll make sure you’re supported’. The Department of Education has confirmed that this is a scam e-mail.
- Fake ‘missed parcel’ notes posted through letterboxes encouraging residents to call a premium rate phone number.
- DOORSTEP CRIMINALS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE PANDEMIC Please be vigilant, bogus doorstep callers are offering fake Covid-19 testing. If you think you have the virus, contact NHS 111 for more
Report scams to Action Fraud: 0300 123 2040
YOUR DOORSTEP YOUR DECISION
If you feel pressured, ask the person to leave.
NO SNAP DECISIONS
Take time to talk to someone you trust before you make any decisions.
DO THE CHECKS
You can check ID badges and contact associations to check membership registrations yourself. Call the telephone number of the
organisation, obtain this number yourself, not from the person at the door.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE BEST
Support from trusted friends, family or neighbours is ideal. Be vigilant for strangers offering services at the door that may want to take advantage.