West Yorkshire Trading Standards has seen an increase in the number of COVID-19 related scams.
Please read the following PDF for the full list of COVID-19 related Scams, reported to be trending in West Yorkshire.
Report scams to Action Fraud: 0300 123 2040
For Reliable, Up-to-Date information about the Corona Virus, only use official resources
Gov.uk – Official government services and information website – www.gov.uk
The NHS website – https://www.nhs.uk/
Abbreviated list of scams:
1. Door-to-door selling face masks, trying to get into people’s homes
2. Individuals pretending to be Red Cross workers or Health Authorities, knocking door-to-door, asking to come into the house for mandatory COVID-19 tests
3. Scam texts/emails from Police/Government claiming you have been fined for leaving your house
4. Scam HMRC tax refund texts/emails
5. Fake text/email claiming UK Government issuing payments to all residents – will take you to a fake gov.uk website asking your personal details
6. Scam phonecalls offering priority vaccinations – There is currently no vaccine for COVID-19
7. Parents entitled to free school meals requested for their bank details for financial support – Department of Education has confirmed this is a scam.
8. Fake missed parcel note posted through letterbox, listing a premium rate number to call.
These apply to all scams, not just the COVID-19 related scams.
– If you feel pressured, ask the person to leave. Do not let them in your house.
– Rely on family, friends, trusted neighbours. Be vigilant that strangers offering services may want to take advantage.
– Do not make snap decision – take your time!
– Check ID, confirm with the company – get the company’s name yourself, not from the person at your doorstep.
– If something sounds too good to be true it probably is!!