Disability Partnership Calderdale open meeting for all disabled people, with free buffet, engaging presentations, socialising and networking
Disability Partnership Calderdale’s next open meeting for members and all disabled people in Calderdale is on Tuesday 30th July.
The venue is the fully accessible Kings Centre, Park Road, Halifax HX1 2TS, where everyone can expect a warm welcome and an excellent evening of informative presentations and a chance to socialise and network withfellow attendees, plus representatives of local organisations with an interest in providing services, support and advice for disabled people and their families.
– All disabled attendees can claim travel expenses when they arrive.
– There is a free buffet with hot drinks for all attendees.
– Membership is free – why not come along and join on the night?
- 17.00 – doors open and buffet available
- 17.30 – Disability Partnership Calderdale’s Marion Spruce opens the meeting
- 17.45 – Brian Daltrey, director of DEX (Deaf Ex Mainstreamers)
Continuing our series of presentations looking at different disabilities, requested by our members, Brian will talk about deafness and about DEX and the work they do. DEX is an entirely deaf-led organisation that exists to raise awareness of the daily struggle that deaf children have in mainstream education. DEX uses the English dictionary definition of the word “deaf” to mean “wholly or partially without hearing” to apply to all children who have hearing loss. More about Brian and DEX
- 18.10 – Chloe Oldman – Victoria Theatre
Chloe is the Business Development Manager at Halifax’s Victoria Theatre and she will be speaking about the theatre and its future plans.
- 18.40 – Break – grab a drink and socialise
- 18.50 – Luncheon Club
We introduce our new luncheon club and let you know how the first one went and how to get involved at future ones.
- 18.55 – Getting to know you!
A social and fun opportunity to meet our new Development and Administration workers and a chance to network and chat with them and other attendees.
- 19.45 – Meeting ends.
What? Disability Partnership Calderdale Open Meeting
When? Date: Tuesday July 30th 2019 – 5-30pm to 7-45pm
Where? Venue: Kings Centre, Park Road, Halifax HX1 2TS
Who? Everyone welcome. Calderdale-based people with a disability get travel expenses.
Accessible? Wheelchair accessible,
General Enquiries: 07716122897
Malcolm Kielty (secretary): 07946510900
Accessibility At Our Open meetings
To enable everyone to be included and to be able to participate at our meetings, we have the following access arrangements:
- A technician operates a PA system. This has powerful radio microphones which are handed to any person (audience or presenters) who is speaking at the meeting. This enables people to hear what is said. The system is connected to the hearing induction loop system for the benefit of people who use hearing aids.
- There are two large screens where slides can be projected.
- Two Sign Language Interpreters are present at meetings to ensure that Deaf sign language users can understand proceedings and make their contribution to discussions by the interpreter ‘voicing over’ the sign language they use.
- We have a ‘speech to text’ (Palantype) operator. This highly trained professional person makes sure that everything that is spoken appears as text on the screens. This assists people who are deaf but are not sign language users.