Hearing Link is a UK charity which says of itself: “Our remit is to ensure that people living with hearing loss can find information, specialist services, and social contact, in order to live well with hearing loss.”
Hearing Link have an extremely comprehensive and informative website, which is well worth a visit – have a look at their “Adjusting to hearing loss” section as a good example. It also includes a useful snapshot information section – visit their website for much more information, but in the meantime, here is that snapshot:
- 10 million people (approx.) in the UK are affected by hearing loss (1 in 6).
- 6.5 million of these are aged 60 and over.
- 3.7 million are of working age.
- Around 2 million people use hearing aids.
- About 800,000 are severely or profoundly deaf.
- Many people with hearing loss also have tinnitus. They may also have balance difficulties.
- Hearing loss increases sharply with age – about a third of people aged 70+ have a hearing loss.